Friday, November 5, 2010

My First Date


I had my first informational interview with a PR agency last week. It turned into more of an interview than I thought. I was having an I-feel-like-I-was-hit-by-a-truck day with seasonal allergies and a rough cold, and I hadn't straightened my hair in a month. I was looking a little bush woman and sounding a little phone sex operator. Hopefully, the agency is into that.

Now, not that I know a lot about dating around (I've been with the same person for 100 years), but I imagine it's a lot like informational interviews. You take three hours to pick out an outfit that says "I'm interested but not trying too hard;" you leave an hour early and sit in the parking ramp going over how you'll introduce yourself; and you spend the entire conversation trying to read the undertones of your date's body language and word choice. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of practice in this area since I can wear flannel pajamas, eat an entire pizza and burp (just another Saturday night) in front of Matt without the slightest hesitation.

Anyways, I felt like a zombie and as the interview gets started, I noticed she was asking more questions than I was. I came in just trying to figure out if an agency was where I wanted to be and I left applying for the internship. I guess even the living dead can compete.

I truly believe when you approach something to learn, you end up getting more than you bargained. People are more willing to connect with you and help you out when you have a general interest in them. I think people appreciate that kind of networking because the relationship is mutual. It's hard to keep that mentality when careers are so competitive, but things seem to just fall into place when you approach the job market in a less-hostile manner.

1 comment:

  1. I agree...all of what you just said has been my entire experience in the leadership minor. When you invest yourself in others, others begin to care. "people don't care how much you know until they know how much you care"...cheers!

    ReplyDelete